Friday, January 29, 2010

Iman

The first time I ever saw Iman was on the cover of Hello! Magazine that featured her wedding to David Bowie. I had no idea who the two of them were. It was the year 1992 and I was a ten year old girl living in Nigeria. I found the magazine in the home of some family friend's of ours that were subscribers. Usually the covers were about European Aristocrats and Royalty. I never really knew who a lot of the people were but loved the pictures of beautiful people surrounded by beautiful things in beautiful places.

The arresting cover and 19 page spread took my breath away. I remember thinking she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen and wanted to know everything about this glamorous African supermodel goddess. Iman wore a form fitting Herve Leger dress (don't mess with the supermodels of the 90's, of course she wore Herve Leger), opera gloves and held a bouquet of white starburst lillies. Look at the way he is looking at her below. He knows what he has. (See previous post "Beauty and the Beast.")She wore no veil and allowed her hair to cascade down her back with soft tendrils framing her face.

I am so proud that almost 18 years after I first saw her, she is still stunning. Another well preserved model. Here is a photo of her from the 2009 American Ballet Theater's Spring Gala. Look at how she stands out in this crowd. Excellent dress choice.
Still a goddess. Not to mention accomplished business woman.
And a mother to a beautiful young girl. I have no doubt that Iman will raise her daughter to be just as elegant and refined as she is.
Some gratuitous shots of her out and about in NYC. Great scarf!
She looks soft, feminine and yet still playful.
They don't make models like they used to. Nowadays they are mostly homogenous clones from Eastern Europe that are replaceable and forgettable. Even the mega models now seem to have lost the air of glamour and mystery (Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum).
What a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment